On Wednesday night, the Stallions announced that they had placed starting quarterback J'Mar Smith on injured reserve after he sustained an injury to his left (non-throwing) ring finger in the second quarter of Birmingham's win over the New Jersey Generals. Smith will be out for the remainder of the season.
Prior to the injury, Smith went 10-for-15 (66.7%) for 160 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
The Stallions luckily can turn to backup QB Alex McGough, who didn't miss a beat while filling in for the injured Smith. Coming off the bench, McGough went 7-of-11 (63.6%) for 68 yards and one touchdown.
In the 27-10 win, McGough also showcased his legs as he led the team in rushing with 51 yards, including this impressive 29-yard scamper.
McGough will make his first start of the season on April 22 against the Memphis Showboats.
Interestingly, McGough entered last season as Birmingham's starting QB, but when he was injured in the 2022 season-opener, Smith took over the job. Now, the roles have been reversed.
More on the USFL from FOX Sports:
- USFL 2023: How to watch, team previews, best players
- The full week-by-week 2023 USFL schedule
- USFL Week 1 power rankings
- Five potential USFL MVP candidates to keep an eye on ahead of 2023 season
- Takeaways from the Breakers win over the Maulers
- Takeaways from the Panthers win over the Gamblers
- Takeaways from the Stallions win over the Generals
- Takeaways from the Stars win over the Showboats