USFL Playoffs top plays: Stars stun Generals

USFL Playoffs top plays: Stars stun Generals

Jun 25, 2022

The USFL's inaugural postseason got underway Saturday on FOX when the North's top-seeded New Jersey Generals faced the No. 2 seed Philadelphia Stars in the semifinals at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.

The Stars, who lost to the Generals twice in the regular season, pulled off a stunner, earning a 19-14 victory.

The Stars advance to play in the USFL Championship Game on Sunday, July 3 (7:30 p.m. ET, FOX). Tickets for the USFL playoffs and championship games are on sale at United States Football League (USFL) (

Here are the top plays from Saturday's first game.

Philadelphia Stars 19, New Jersey Generals 14

Philadelphia marched down the field in a hurry on the opening possession ending with a Luis Aguilar field goal to give the Stars the first lead of the game.

Mazzi Wilkins gave Philadelphia the ball with a huge interception in the second quarter. Wilkins caught the ball on the Stars' 4-yard line and ended up on New Jersey's 13.

A couple of plays later, Case Cookus extended the lead to 10-0 with an eight-yard touchdown run for the final score of the first half.

The second half began with a little controversy as New Jersey's Cam Echols-Luper fumbled the kickoff return.

On the very next possession, the Generals intercepted Cookus to get the ball back. On second-and-8, quarterback Luis Perez found Darrius Shepherd for a 63-yard strike downfield to put New Jersey in scoring position.

On fourth down, New Jersey got on the board when Darius Victor punched it in for a one-yard touchdown. The score cut the Stars' lead to 10-7.

Just as the Stars seemed to be on their way to extending the lead, Paris Ford halted that with a huge hit on Darnell Holland, forcing a fumble recovered by New Jersey.

With 10:46 to play, KaVontae Turpin returned a punt 79 yards for a touchdown and a 14-10 lead for the Generals.

Maurice Alexander Jr. gave the Stars the lead back, 19-15, with 1:41 remaining on an 88-yard punt return. The two-point attempt failed.

Philadelphia hung on for the win, as an interception by Amani Dennis ended the game.