Week 3 of the 2023 USFL season wrapped Sunday with a two-game slate, and we had you covered with all the action!
See the full list of regular-season week-by-week matchups here.
The fans showed out in full force for the Panthers, and their head coach Mike Nolan expressed his gratitude to the patrons prior to the game.
Behind the blockers!
After the Panthers struck first with a field goal, New Jersey responded with a TD of its own. Darius Victor hauled in a quick screen pass on the left side of the field, and used his stellar vision to weave 51 yards to paydirt.
The score put NJ up 7-3 in the first.
The Generals' offense has speed galore, and it exercised its command over Michigan's defense early on. The squad took an early 14-3 on its next drive when D'Andre Johnson scrambled past the pylon from nine yards out.
The play to set it up? No biggie, just a 71-yard dart from Johnson off-tackle. The Generals' QB began the game with 63 yards and a TD through the air, and 83 yards plus a score on the ground.
The Generals took a 21-3 lead to start the second quarter, courtesy of Victor's second rushing score of the day.
The Panthers' defense got in on the affair, poking the ball loose on tough play from Garrett Marino, and hopping on it to regain possession before the fourth quarter.
What could have been
The Panthers looked strong early in the fourth quarter, but it was short-lived.
After getting a huge break on this crucial first-down call, Michigan turned the ball over just outside the red zone.
Johnson unloaded his second TD of the night with this 72-yard dart to Alonzo Moore, who took care of the rest to put the Generals up 28-13.
Not so fast
The Panthers tried their best to get themselves back into the matchup, but the Generals had an answer for every trick their opponent tried. In the end, New Jersey ran away with the double-digit win.
Top USFL stories from FOX Sports:
- USFL adds new rules for 2023, brings back popular innovations from last season
- Michigan Panthers schedule | Interview with coach Mike Nolan
- Pittsburgh Maulers schedule | Interview with coach Ray Horton
- Birmingham Stallions schedule | Interview with coach Skip Holtz
- New Jersey Generals schedule | Interview with coach Mike Riley
- Memphis Showboards schedule | Interview with coach Todd Haley
- Philadelphia Stars schedule | Interview with coach Bart Andrus
- New Orleans Breakers schedule | Interview with coach John DeFilippo
- Houston Gamblers schedule | Interview with coach Curtis Johnson